Contact chair: programs [at] planopta.org
- Training and other materials
- Texas PTA Parent Education Programs information.
- Program Checklist
- Programs Evaluation
- Parenting Class Topics
- Catchy Titles
- Parent Education Request Form [Excel format]
- Parent Education Request Form [pdf format]
Texas PTA Programs
Texas PTA offers the following programs:
- The ABC’s of Bullying
- Food & Fitness Matter; Raising Healthy, Active kids
- i-Safe Parents
- Party 101; Consequences to Underage Drinking
- QPR; for Suicide Prevention
- Road Rules; What Every Parent Should Know
- Six Clicks; Do You Know Where Your Child Surfed Today?
- True Colors
Learn more about these programs on the Texas PTA Web site (membership login required).
Parenting and Child-Development Presentations Available for Your School or Group
Jewish Family Service child-development and parent-guidance specialists speak in schools and to other organizations on the topics listed below. For more information, or to schedule a speaker for your group, please contact Shelly Middleman, PhD, LMFT at 972.437.9950 or SMiddleman@JFSdallas.org. Note these are not focused on religion.
- Dating and Teen Sexual Violence
- Bullying: “Bad” Boys & Girls Gone Wild
- Step by Step – Parenting in a Blended Family
- Tradition: The Importance of Your Family’s Rituals
- Angry Kids, Calm Parents
- Emotional Intelligence, Developing Your Whole Child
- Successful Single Parenting
- Teens and Risk-Taking: What Parents Need to Know
- Let Your Child Fail – Safely
- Choosing Your Parenting Approach
- Parenting the Disabled Child
- The Intelligent Divorce
- Over-Programmed Children
- Healthy Friendships, Hurtful Friendships
- Sex, Drugs, Alcohol: Time for “The” Conversation Now!
- Weaving Webs of Womanhood
Lung Cancer Survivor Speaks to Teens
Jerry Berkowitz, an award winner for the American Cancer Society’s 2007 Community Awareness Award, is is a throat cancer survivor who lost his larynx, voice box and vocal cords because of smoking. He started smoking at age 13 and now warns children and young adults against the health effects of smoking.
“No one ever told us when I was a kid that cigarettes would affect our health. Everyone smoked. I don’t think anything would have stopped me from smoking,” says Berkowitz.
Because of his experience with cancer, Jerry is trying to help students understand the truth and consequences of smoking and secondhand smoke. He hopes these students won’t have to suffer from the fatal effects of cancer and smoking-related diseases.
“Nothing I have ever done in my life compares to the rewarding feeling I get from speaking to students. I am making a difference,” says Berkowitz.
He speaks to student groups about three times a week and can be reached at 817-377-4333 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Mark Kistler’s Imagination Station Elementary School Assembly Program
Get your students prepared to blast off into the land of imagination with pencil power! For three decades, Mark Kistler has been teaching kids at over 7,000 elementary schools how to draw in 3-D with this world-famous assembly program. An unforgettable hands-on assembly that encourages students, teachers, and parents to participate. Mark has taught millions of children around the world how to draw…he can teach your students, too!
Mark deeply believes that learning how to draw in three dimensions builds a child’s critical thinking skills while nourishing self-esteem. His positive messages on self-esteem, goal setting, dream conquering, environmental awareness, and the power of reading have sparked millions of children around the world to discover their awesome individual potentials. More information available at Kistler’s Web site.
Phil Baker Music
For nearly 20 years, Phil Baker has used music to educate, entertain, and enrich the lives of young people. He has played guitar, sung, directed and produced shows, and keynoted events throughout the United States and places as far away as Australia and Costa Rica. See Phil Baker’s Web site for more information.